I didn’t take a photo of this one because – well, it wasn’t pretty. But it tasted marvelous. Here’s what I needed to use up:
- a leftover poached chicken breast
- some grilled vegetables, including potato, red onion, zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes
- a few leaves of kale
Here’s how I transformed that into something quite different:
- I chopped half an onion and sauteed that in olive oil. I shredded up the kale (no ribs, of course) and threw that in. I cooked this over medium heat until the kale was softened, about five minutes.
- I added a tablespoon of green Thai curry paste. This stuff keeps forever in the fridge, and a little goes a long way. Once that was fragrant, I added a can of light coconut milk. Trader Joe’s makes a nice one. I let that simmer for another five minutes or so over low heat, and then
- I added the chicken, cut into bite-size pieces, and the grilled veggies, likewise chunked up.
- I let it simmer for another five minutes or so. Hmm – a bit bland. I added a bit of soy sauce and a bit of lime juice, and suddenly it tasted Thai! Well, Thai-ish. The flavor of the chicken infused nicely into the sauce, the kale was tender, and all the ingredients got along splendidly.
- I served it over brown basmati rice. Very nice! And it’s gluten- and dairy-free, if you care about that sort of thing.